What is a Triangular Prism?
Ahead of discussing how to calculate the volume of a triangular prism, let’s define what it is. A triangular prism is a three-dimensional solid object in which the two ends are exactly of the same shape. In this case the two ends also known as the bases are triangular in shape.
Types of Triangular Prisms.
Triangular prisms can then be classified based on how their bases and lateral faces intersect. They include:
- Right triangular prism. This is a prism whose bases are perpendicular to the lateral faces, meaning they meet at right angles.
- Oblique triangular prism. This prism’s bases are not perpendicular to the lateral faces and do not meet at right angles.
Triangular prisms can also be categorized on the type of the triangle that forms its base. They are:
- Regular Triangular Prism. This kind of a triangular prism has its base formed by an equilateral triangle.
- Irregular Triangular Prism. This kind of a prism has its base formed by an irregular polygon eg. a scalene triangle.
Properties of a Triangular Prism.
- Triangular prism has a triangular cross section.
- A triangular prism has a total of 9 edges, 5 faces, and 6 vertices which are joined by the rectangular faces.
- It has two triangular bases and three rectangular sides.
- We say a triangular prism is semi-regular if its triangular bases are equilateral and the other faces are squares, instead of a rectangle.
Formula to Calculate Volume of a Triangular Prism.
To calculate the volume, all you have to do is find the area of one of the triangular bases and multiply it by the height of the prism.
a – is the length of one of the sides of the triangle that makes up the prism.
b – is the length of the other side of the triangle that makes up the prism.
h – is the height of the triangular prism.
Find the volume of a triangular prism whose height is 5m and one of the sides of the triangle making up the prism is 2m and its other side is 3m.
Therefore the volume of the triangular prism is 15 m3 .