Hours worked means the time during which an employee is subject to the control of an employer.
It includes all the time the employee is permitted to work even if it falls outside the normal scheduled hours.
Calculation of worked hours is important especially if the employer pays salary based on number of hours worked.
Formula to calculate hours worked.
- Identify the time in and the time out.
- Convert both times to 24 hour clock system.
- And subtract the time in from the time out, the result is the number of hours worked.
An employee’s time in is 8:00 am, while his time out is 4:30 pm. Calculate the hours worked by the employee.
- After identifying time in and out, we convert both times to 24 hour clock system.
8:00 am = 0800h
4:30 pm = 1630h
- We subtract time in from time out.
Therefore, the employee worked for 8 hours and 30 minutes.