MPG is short for miles per gallon.
MPG is used to show how far your car is able to travel for every gallon of fuel it uses.
It is an important metric as it tells you about the difference in cost between operating different vehicles by giving you a sense of how much money you’re likely to spend on fuel.
Formula to calculate MPG.
- Fill up your gas tank all the way.
- If your car has a trip odometer, reset it.
- Drive your car as you normally would, and let your gas tank deplete to at least half it.
- Refill your tank again and record the amount of gas it took to refill the tank.
- Record the elapsed trip miles or new odometer mileage.
Suppose you had a full tank of gas and you drove for 300miles, when you went to refill it and 15 gallons were added to fill the tank again. Calculate your MPG.
Therefore, with every 20 miles drive, you used one gallon.