What is a Cube?
Before we discuss how to calculate the volume of a cube, let us define what a it is. A cube is a three dimensional solid object that has six identical square faces joined along their identical sides.
Volume is a measure of how much space an object takes up and is measured in cubic units.
Properties of a Cube.
- It has all its faces or sides in a square shape, they have equal dimensions.
- The plane angles of the cube are the right angle.
- Each of the faces meets the other four faces.
- Each of the vertices meets the three faces and three edges.
- The edges opposite to each other are parallel.
Formula to Calculate Volume of a Cube.
The length of one of the sides of an ice cube is 2cm. Calculate the volume of the ice block.
Therefore, the volume of the ice cube is 8cm³ .
Suppose you have a box whose all faces are equal and you are asked to find its volume if the length of the side is 30cm.
Volume = Side x Side x Side
= 30 x 30 x 30
Therefore, the volume of the box is 2,700 cm3.